Visit the beautiful Galata Sea Museum!
An exciting journey to discover seas and oceans and the different boats created over the centuries to try to tame them and cross them. From the rowing boats to the sailing ships, from the geographical explorations to the great Italian migration, you can get on board a Genoese galley natural size, admire a section dedicated to transatlantic with nautical maps, explore the deck of a steamship and virtually maneuver the boat from the wheelhouse, visit the Armoury with helmets, armours and weapons that were put on the galleys, visit interactive rooms that show how was life on board, and get on board a lifeboat in the Hall of 4D Storm that will let you try the experience of a storm in the open sea.
Get on board the fun!
Four floors, 23 rooms, a roof terrace from which to admire the harbour and the historic part of Genoa, a full experience for those who love sea and ships. Relax and emotions for the whole family, and the possibility to discover all the details on equipment and the technical parts of the ships, to know closely the life of sailors, slaves and commanders on the sailing ships.
In front of the Galata is moored the Nazario Sauro, the biggest Italian submarine that can be visited in the water, which provides the opportunity to experience the living conditions of submariners on board a real submarine!
What makes this Tour Unique?
- Get on board a XVII century Genoese galley
- Hall of Transatlantics with the possibility to explore ithe deck of a steamship
- Hall of 4D Storm to live real emotions
- Section on Italian emigration
Reduced and free tickets
- Children from 4 to 12 years
- Senior (over 65 years)
- Disabled people and invalids with paper certification issued by the competent authorities
- Groups (minimum 20 people)
- Children from 0 to 3 years
- Carer of 100% disabled people
Galata Sea Museum is equipped with:
- Cloakroom (free service). At the cloakroom there are available for free baby-carriers up to 15kg
- Guide book to be purchased at the Gift Shop
- Audioguide to be rented at the Reception (paid service)
- Souvenir photo: inside the submarine it will be done a photo shoot automatically. The photo is on sale at the entrance of the museum and its purchase is not mandatory
- Gift shop located in the Museum Hall
- Auditorium with projection room
- Cafe on the first floor of the museum
- Toilets with changing mat
- Lost and found service at the ticket office
- Babysitting for children (paid service)
The Galata Sea Museum is equipped with audioguides for blind and visually handicapped people, amplification devices at magnetic induction for hearing-impaired people, Tactile Map MIRAgenova, Electric scooter with three wheels or wheelchair for disabled people.
All the material is freely distributed by the welcoming staff at the reception of the Galata Sea Museum upon presentation of an identity document.
Inside it's forbidden:
- throw objects along the path
- introduce animals
- eat or drink along the path
The Galata Sea Museum is in Calata De Mari, 1 (Darsena – Via Gramsci) - 16126 Genoa
Technical features of the Museum:
- 12.000 m2
- 28 rooms
- 4 floors
- 4.300 original objects
- 75 multimedia stations
- 6 natural-size reconstructions of historic boats
- 42 m Galley
- 30 m Brigantino
- 1 submarine in water
- 2 precious XVII century globes
- 10 historic atlases
- 1 roof terrace wiht 360° view on the city
- 5 pedestrian paths to be downloaded on Mp3 from the Mirador to the historic center
- 1 plastic on the XVII century Darsena
- 1 Code of Privileges of Cristoforo Colombo 2nd copy in the world
- 10 nautical charts of the XVI century
- 100 telescopes of the XVIII and XIX century
- 150 projects of original constructions, from steamships to transatlantics