Palatina Gallery, Old Bridge, Signoria Square Tour
Join our Palatina Gallery, Old Bridge and Signoria Square guided tour in English with a professional guide. All our tours are led by officially authorized, highly qualified and experienced guides.
Starting from the sumptuous rooms and private apartments richly decorated and furnished of the Palatina gallery, the itinerary proceeds to the Old Bridge and to the discovery of the history of the Old Palace, seat of the political power, located in Signoria Square, center of the social life, built upon the ruins of the Ghibelline homes of the 13th century.
The Tour will last 1 hour and 30 min., and will give you an high quality and entertaining introduction to Florence!
Please note : the Tour is conducted only in English
What makes this Tour Unique?
- Visit with an highly qualified guide
- Admire Florence breathing its history in the most beautiful streets and squares
- Discover all the anecdotes about this city
Reduced and free tickets
- European Community citizens between 18 and 25 years old (valid identity document needed at the entrance)
- Teachers from EU public institutes (Città del Vaticano, Montecarlo, Switzerland, Luxemburg, Repubblica di San Marino, Lichtestein included) with proof of tenure.
- Citizens under 18 years old (valid identity document needed at the entrance)
Service fees and eventual temporary exhibition fees are always due.
Please check the day and departure times of the Tour in the Booking Box at the top.
1 hour and 30 minutes
15 minutes before the starting time, meet the guide in front of the entrance of the Pitti Palace. The guide will give you entrance tickets.
Local guide officially authorized.
Whisper System (included only for groups over 10 persons).
The tour will start from the Pitti Palace (Pitti Square n°1 - Florence).
- Palatina Gallery : the Palatina Gallery and the Royal Apartments occupy the entire first floor of the Pitti Palace, former residence of the Medici, then of the Lorraine, and finally of the Kings of Italy. The Palatina Gallery was created in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth century by the Lorraines, who placed here all the masterpieces coming from the Medici collections, that until then were distributed in various environments. They are 28 rooms named by the author or by the subject of the decorations contained, and they follow the tradition of the seventeenth-century picture-galleries, where the works covered all the walls of the rooms; here there are works by Titian, Caravaggio, Raphael, Rubens, Pietro da Cortona and other Italian and European masters of the Renaissance and seventeenth centuries. The Royal Apartments consist of fourteen magnificent rooms that formed the private residence of the ruling families, and still conserve the original furnishings and furniture.
- Old Bridge : the bridge was originally a wooden bridge, then rebuilt in brick but unfortunately overwhelmed by the flood of the Arno river in 1333; was built another time in 1345 by Neri di Fioravante and it was the only bridge in Florence that was saved from the bombardments during the Second World War. Initially it was occupied by the workshops of the so-called "beccai" or butchers but, by the end of the sixteenth century, Ferdinando I, for reasons of decorum and cleanliness, replaced all the shops with jewelry shops. In the middle of the bridge is still visible the bust of Benvenuto Cellini, the famous Florentine goldsmith.
- Signoria Square : the square that once housed the Ghibellines' houses, then destroyed in order to create the Old Palace, it's today a true outdoor museum. On one side of the square there is the famous Loggia dei Priori (or Loggia dei Lanzi) built between 1376 and 1382 under which were placed beautiful art works as the Perseus of Cellini, the Rape of the Sabines and the Hercules and the Centaur by Giambologna, and the Rape of Polyxena by Pio Fedi. In front of the Old Palace stand the copy of Michelangelo's David, the Donatello's Judith and the Hercules and Cacus by Bandinelli. Is also remarkable the Fountain of Neptune (called "Biancone") made by Ammannati and adorned with bronze statues of fauns and nymphs.