The city of Urbino is dominated by the wonderful Ducal Palace, a splendid architectural example of the Italian Renaissance, of which still today we can admire the various construction phases.
The oldest part of the palace, the "Jole Palace", was built by the will of the father of Federico da Montefeltro, but it is only thanks to the latter that in 1454 some Florentine architects headed by Maso di Bartolomeo began to work on the project; from about 1464 to 1472, the second phase of the work was carried out by the new Dalmatian architect Luciano Laurana, which was responsible for important interventions such as the Studiolo of the Duke Federico and the famous Torricini facade.
The third phase was headed by the Sienese Francesco di Giorgio Martini who cared a lot of the decoration of the private spaces as well as the water system of the Palace.
In 1912 the Marche National Gallery was set up inside the palace, so as well as admiring the decoration and furnishings of the various environments and private apartments, such as the Bedroom, the Audience Hall, the Guidubaldo's Chapel, the Studiolo, The Duke's Wardrobe, today we can also enjoy masterpieces of Piero della Francesca as the Flagellation of Christ and the Virgin of Senigallia, works by Leon Battista Alberti, Paolo Uccello, Raffaello and the splendid Resurrection and Last Supper of Tiziano.
A perfectly preserved palace where time seems to stand still...