- Validity: 1 day
- Priority access
- Photos allowed
- 7 inch Tablet
What to expect
- The best panoramic view of Florence
- The ramparts
- The bells and the Marzocco Lion with the Lily of Florence
- The cell called the Alberghetto where Savonarola and Cosimo The Elder were imprisoned
Literally towering over Florence, the 95 mt high Arnolfo Tower in Palazzo Vecchio is one of the city's unmistakable symbols.
Inside the tower a stone staircase of 223 steps leads up to the highest level, offering a magnificent view over the city.
The tower was builded in 2 times: the first one, completed in 1302 together with the oldest part of the palace, is encased in the walls: the second one, completed over the following 20 years, out overs the corbelled ramparts to give aesthetic continuity to the façade.
The tall lookout tower protected Palazzo Vecchio that had specific poltical and amministrative requirements and its government seat. The tower had to lord it over the Florentine families' private tower houses, that were ordered to be reduced to a maximum heigth of 29 mt.
Along the staircase, you met a small prison, called the Alberghetto (little pretty hotel) where, first Cosimo The Elder in 1433, before he was exiled from Florence, and then Fra' Girolamo Savonarola in 1498, waiting to be executed as an heretic in Piazza della Signoria, were imprisoned.
On the way up, you'll find 2 bell chambers, that host the bell called Martinella, to summon all the citizens, the Midday bell and the Chiming bell.
On the pinnacle is located a copy of the Marzocco lion with the Lily of Florence.
The tower preserves also a clock with the original 1667 mechanism.
What is included
- Entrance with priority access
- Full-time entrance and you stay how long you want
- Reservation fees
- Access to temporary exhibitions
- 7 inch Tablet (available in Italian, English, French, German and Spanish)
What is not included
- Guided tour
- 18-25 years old (valid identity document needed at the entrance)
- university students
Free Ticket (it is still required to pay the presale to skip the line) :
- under 18 years old (valid identity document needed at the entrance)
- groups of students and their teachers
- The ticket is valid all day until closing time of the Palace starting from entrance time.
- The entrance time written on the tickets may be subject to small changes depending on the actual availability of the Palace.
- For a satisfying experience it is recommended to reserve at least 1 hour and half to visit the Palace.
- The tickets will be sent via email within 24-48 hours after purchase (on weekdays) with instructions on how to get there and what to do to enter.
- We inform you that, once booked, the date and time selected are binding. Please pick up your ticket at least 15 minutes before the reserved entrance. Who does not respect the time booked will not enter. To pick up the tablet, you need a valid ID.
- Access is allowed for a maximum of 30 people at once and it is coordinated by the security staff, so in some periods of the year or special days you may experience short delays or waits not dependent on the Palace or Italy Tickets.
- The access to the tower is cancelled in case of rain and it will be limited to the ramparts.
- Children under 6 aren't allowed to go up to the tower.
- The visit isn't suggested to people with motor disabilities, heart patients, asthmatics and people suffering from vertigo and claustrophobia.