Located in the ancient Certosa of Saint Martin, the museum combines testimonies and historical memories of the Kingdom of Naples with the surrounding natural landscape visible from the loggias that offer a beautiful view on the Gulf of Naples.
The Certosa dedicated to St. Martin, bishop of Tours, was founded in 1325 by the will of the Duke of Calabria, Carlo D'Angiò, and built by Tino di Camaino and Attanasio Primario, according to the architectural rules of the Order; the church was then deeply changed between the end of the 16th Century and the 18th Century so that only the gothic underground have preserved their original aspect.
In the building worked important artists such as Lanfranco, Ribera, Battistello Caracciolo and Luca Giordano, but in 1799 the monks were expelled from the monastery and in 1866 the structure was declared National Monument and was opened to public as Historical Museum of the city and the Kingdom of Naples.
In the naval section can be admired different models of royal boats among which the Battleship of King Umberto I and that of the Queen Margherita, the Royal Launch and the Launch with 24 oars that Naples donated to Carlo di Borbone; have been also selected various ship models that show the historical and technical evolution of the Army of the sea.
Are also remarkable the gothic underground of the Certosa well preserved that house an important nucleus of sculptures from the Middle Ages to the Modern Age, as well as the section dedicated to the historical memories of the Kingdom of Naples (from the 15th century to the 19th century) with representations of the city such as the famous Strozzi Painting, and portraits of the kings of the Bourbon Family. Then we find the Prior Apartment, the Cabinet of Drawings and Prints with many works among which stand out those of Vanvitelli and Antonio Niccolini, and the section of the maps of Napesi; the section dedicated to the decorative arts (with majolicas, porcelain, glasses, mirrors and precious objects); at least can be admired the theatre section, dedicated to this great Neapolitan tradition with scenographies and sketches for curtains and masks, and the crib section where stands out the crib of Cuciniello housed in an artificial grotto, with shepherds, animals and still lifes.
Works of Battistello Caracciolo, Gaspare Traversi, Francesco De Mura, Salvator Rosa, Giovan Battista Ruoppolo.
- Artemisia Gentileschi, Adoration of Magi, 1636-37
- Jusepe de Ribera, Piety, 1637
- Luca Giordano, Marriage of Cana, 1663
- Micco Spadaro, Murder of Giuseppe Carafa, 1647
- Strozzi Painting
- Pietro Bernini, Virgin with Child and St. John