The Museums houses an eclectic collection of paintings, textiles, photography, furniture, result of the multiple interests of the last owner from which takes its name.
Began in the mid-fifteenth century on wish of Benedetto Pesaro, the building shows elements typical of the Venetian architecture such as the arches on the ground floor, today walled up, which served as a link between outside and inside; after the Pesaro family, the palace hosted for a short period the Academy of Orfei, and then in the mid nineteenth century, it was divided into several apartments.
One of these, was occupied by the artist Mariano Fortuny who here realized his small studio, until slowly over the years, he managed to buy the entire building and make it his residence equipped with an atelier. Here Mariano dedicated himself to the study of photography, scenography and to the production of tissues and clothes in silk and velvet, helped by his wife Herniette Nigrin; he died in 1949 and left the palace to the Municipality of Venice for it to be used as a center of culture and art. The real Museum was opened in 1975 and still preserves the furnishings, the collections and the library belonged to Fortuny.